Room In the Inn at Trinity
For over 15 years Trinity has been partnering with Urban Ministry Center to participate in Room Inn The Inn (RITI) to provide a safe, warm place for people in Charlotte experiencing homelessness. Three Wednesdays a month from December through March, Trinity hosts 12 guests to spend the night and provides fellowship, a hot dinner, hot breakfast and a lunch to go. Trinity is also able to provide a hot shower, toiletries, hats, gloves, t-shirts and underwear. All of this is made possible by wonderful, dedicated, and caring members of Trinity.
Here is a behind the scenes look at what it takes to make our Room In The Inn Program a success:
- 144 guests served – Men, Women and Children
- 250 volunteer slots to fill throughout the season to make RITI a success.
- 22 volunteers needed each week
- Weekly needs and ways you can help:
- 6 Drivers
- 8 Hospitality Hosts
- 2 Overnight Hosts
- 1-2 Breakfast Helpers
- 1 Lunch Maker
- 1 Dessert Maker
- 2 Laundry Helper
Signing up for 3 ways to help will not only have an impact on our guests, it will help provide an understanding of the struggles facing Charlotte’s homeless population and will undoubtedly have an impact on you! There are always meaningful conversations, laughs, and God’s love filling the Fellowship Hall. We hope you can help make Room In The Inn happen this season!
If you would like to learn more about the volunteer opportunities available for Room In The Inn, please see the job descriptions below:
- Transportation: Have a car? Have a license? Help drive our guests to and from Uptown and Trinity. Providing transportation brings our guests from the Urban Ministry Center uptown to Trinity (on Wednesday afternoon- arrive at UMC @ 4:45p, finish around 6p) and from Trinity to the Transportation Center (on Thursday morning – arrive at Trinity at 5:45a, finish after dropping guests at Transportation Center uptown).
- Overnight Hosts: Join with a co-host to spend the night with our guests, beginning with dinner and ending with breakfast the next day. Enjoy a movie, game of cards, or a conversation before bed. (Arrive at Trinity between 5:30p-7:30p and head home or to work around 6a)
- Breakfast: Please sign up if you are interested in helping provide our guests breakfast. There are many tasks included in this and Nancy Williams will be in touch with you about more information! This sign up is to show your interest in helping any time!!
- Hospitality Host: Join in fellowship and conversation with RITI guests around the Dinner table. This volunteer option includes a number of opportunities including setting up beds and setting tables, serving dinner and clean up, and setting up the tables for the next morning. (Arrive at Trinity by 5:30pm and leave around 7:30pm)
- Dessert Provider: Provide dessert for 24 people (some nut-free), drop off at Trinity anytime by 6pm on Wednesday or bring with you when you come to serve as a Dinner Host!
- Lunch Provider: Provide 12 bagged lunches for our guests to bring with them when they depart Trinity. Drop off lunch on the Wednesday afternoon/evening.
- Laundry: Help us to get ready for our next night of hosting by doing the laundry! We need two volunteers to help us by washing the towels and sheets from Wednesday night so our next set up guests have clean linens. Helpers will pick up the laundry anytime on the Thursday following Room In the Inn and bring home to wash then bring linens back to Trinity by the following Wednesday. Sign up to wash towels or sheets (or both!)
If you would like to sign up to volunteer for Room In The Inn, visit Bit.ly/RoomIntheInn1718.